How to get a Library Card
Please contact Mary Graulich, Circulation Supervisor, for any Library Circulation questions via e-mail at
Anyone who lives in the Library District is entitled and encouraged to receive a borrowing card. The Library District mirrors the service area of the Dexter Community Schools. This includes the Village of Dexter and portions of Dexter, Freedom, Hamburg, Lima, Lodi, Northfield, Scio and Webster townships.
Anyone who lives outside of the Library District is eligible to obtain a library card for an annual fee.
Any child under the age of 16 in the Library District may register for his/her own card when the parent or guardian signs the registration form and assumes financial responsibility. Children 16 years old or older may register without a parent or guardian's signature, providing the child can provide the appropriate proof of identification and residency.
Special Borrowers Cards are defined as:
- persons owning property within the district and living outside the district or renters residing within the district. A waiver of the non-resident fee may be obtained and a card issued to people in this category. Proof of ownership or occupancy must be shown and recorded on the registration form.
- persons who work for a business or other tax paying entity within the Library's District and living outside the district. A waiver of the non-resident fee may be obtained and a card issued to people in this category. Proof of employment in the form of a letter from the employer, on official letterhead, must be shown and recorded on the registration form.
- any administrator, educator, other government employee or employee of a non-profit organization residing outside the district but employed by an entity within the district. Proof of current address and proof of employment and position must be presented at the time of registration. Proof of employment in the form of a letter from the employer, on official letterhead, must be shown and recorded on the registration form.
Registering in the Library:
To receive a library card, applicants must complete a registration form and present proof of current residence. Any of the following forms of identification will be accepted as proof of residency:
- valid driver's license
- car registration
- current telephone or utility bill
- lease agreement
- property deed
- current tax receipt
- checkbook with name and address imprint
- State of Michigan identification card
- State of Michigan voter registration
Please report all U.S. postal address, e-mail address, name, and phone number changes to the Library. This will help us contact you about your materials and holds.
Using Your Card:
- When you come to the Library, you must have your card to borrow books.
- If you send a friend or family member to pick up your materials, they must have your library card. That is how we know they have your permission to have your materials.
- Library cards issued to the Library District residents are valid for three years.
- Library cards issued to special borrowers are valid for one year.